On Monday, 31 May, Mr. OSHIMA Tadamori, Speaker of the House of Representatives, had his first video teleconference with Dr. Nurlan Zairullaevich Nigmatulin, Chairman of the Mazhilis of the Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
1. Chairman Nigmatulin began by expressing his sincere appreciation for Japan and Kazakhstan being friends who share values of peace and for the close relations they have built under Strategic Partnership. He expressed his gratitude for the significant contribution Speaker Oshima made to creating an opportunity for former President Nazarbayev to deliver an address at the Japanese Diet in 2016. He also stated that he was honored to have a video meeting with the Speaker amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Speaker Oshima delivered his greetings and opening remarks as follows:
(1) He offered his congratulations on the 30th anniversary of Kazakhstan’s independence this year and on Dr. Nigmatulin once again being appointed as chairman. He commended the exchange between their parliaments and governments being further strengthened through favorable relations between the two countries.
(2) He noted that he vividly recalls the speech former President Nazarbayev made at the Japanese Diet in 2016, which referred to Kazakhstan’s commitment to establishing “a world without nuclear weapons.” He also remarked on the necessity for further cooperation between the two countries in the fields of disarmament and non-proliferation, and in overcoming common challenges such as COVID-19.
2. After their initial greetings, Mr. Oshima and Dr. Nigmatulin exchanged views on various topics. Mr. Oshima expressed his appreciation for the recent active parliamentary exchange. Speaker Oshima and Chairman Nigmatulin both confirmed the importance of further promotion of exchange in various fields, including between parliaments, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and Kazakhstan next year.
3. Dr. Nigmatulin conveyed his wishes for the success of the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games. Mr. Oshima replied by stating the Japanese government’s determination to successfully host the Games in a safe and secure fashion.